So you messed up. You feel down. You know you were wrong. You just want to hide your face from God. The last thing you want to do is pray. Sound familiar? Every Christian feels this way from time to time. Maybe you feel this way daily?
If the enemy has it his way, you will stay down. He pours on the guilt and shame. He knows that you are not a threat to his plans when you can’t even lift your face to Heaven. But that is not God’s will for your life. God wants you “back on the horse,” back in fellowship with Him, and back making a difference in this World.
The following are three ways to quickly get reconnected with God:
1. Remember who you are: Child of the Most High
You are a Child of the Most High God. He is your Father. You are His son or daughter. He wants the best for you. He is not ashamed of you. He knows you aren’t perfect and He wants to help you and shape you into the person He has called you to be.
John 1:12 (ESV)
But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.
Turn your face to Him, knowing that He is love and that His arms are wide open ready to embrace you. What He wants more than anything, is for you to be back in connection with Him. Read the Parable of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15:11-32 to see God’s heart for you. Here is a few verses from that chapter:
Luke 15:20-24 (ESV)
(20) …But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him.
(21) And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’
(22) But the father said to his servants, ‘Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet.
(23) And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate.
(24) For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.’ And they began to celebrate.
2. Literally get on your knees and confess your sin
Why should you get on your knees? You don’t have to, but there is something very humbling about this posture. To submit humbly before the throne of God is an awesome thing. I get on my knees in prayer because it’s a physical act that shows my submission to Jesus and says that He is Lord and that I am not.
God already knows what you did. To confess your sin is to “agree with” God and admit that you were wrong. Say “Father I’m guilty. I agree with you and I know that what I did was wrong.” Scripture says He will forgive you and cleanse you.
1 John 1:9 (ESV)
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
3. Listen to worship music
Take some time to get quiet and listen to some worship music. This has done wonders for my heart when I was down. There have been times when I sinned and didn’t want to show my face to God and worship music was the tool that God used to soften and break me (in a good way). Put the headphones on, turn the lights down low, snuggle under a blanket and allow yourself to enter into worship.
Bethal Music, Jesus Culture, Shane & Shane, and Hillsong Worship are great places to start. If you are a Spotify user, check out the playlist I made for you below:
Get back on the horse. Don’t allow the ungodly guilt and shame to keep you down. Confess your sin, turn from it and reconnect.
If you are driving your car and start to go off the road, you don’t keep driving off the road. You get back on the road and keep moving forward. Don’t allow days, weeks, months or years to go by before you reconnect. Reconnect now, today.
What else have you tried that has helped you reconnect with God? Let me know in the comments below.
- 4 Analogies to Help you Control your Mind - February 16, 2015
- Was Jesus a “morning person”? And why I decided to conquer my mornings - February 5, 2015
- The Epic Guide to Creating, Building and Growing a Successful Instagram Ministry - January 26, 2015